A little drama, a whole lot of hard work, good neighbors and horsepower. A stampede of horsepower in fact!

What was meant to be a working bee of moving cleaning hauling multching and fixing, turned out to be a solid confirmation that we are moving to a unique and wonderful COMMUNITY! We still got a whole lot of work done, but once disaster hit, we soon found we were in the right place! Here’s the abridged weekend events:

Dave, Dyl, Ceili the Dog, and I arrived a few hours before our sea can was due to show up on Friday. We had time to enjoy a cold beer get a fire going and then right at it, as the guys started emptying the epic workshop area of debris, moldy insulation, and the like when we heard the rumble of our hired driver and saw the familiar sight of our bin on board, this was exciting!! But short lived as very rapidly the drop off, turned sideways… literally. The driver decided to rip up the hill without first inspecting the road, grade, hill, landing area or anything! Against our better advise he bombed right up the hill and within about 5 minutes he managed to stick his rig on a precarious ridge with most of the tires off the road leaning HARD down a steep bank. The total weight of the rig desperate to follow the law of gravity was a whopping 24000kg!  The sun was setting and it started to rain lightly. It seemed that our building materials were destine to take a devastating tumble. With no phone book, no telephone lines, and certainly no cell phone towers, no friends to call on (yet) the task at hand was daunting. 4 hours from any major city center, where were we going to find a semi tow truck, or a HUGE piece of picker equipment to lift and rescue both the truck and the bin on our rural now blocked road. And who would fork out for the bill we were certain would be terrifying?

Dave and I jumped in his car (as our truck was trapped uphill from ground zero) Off to the gas station we went, were Peter and Denise suggested we chat with Wayne, who just didn’t have big enough equipment to help us out, but suggested that someone on our road had a cat that might be of some good, it was now dark and dave and I drove up and down McKean until we found the described yard which looked like it might host a large CAT, and heart in throat we looked about a dark lot which in my mind was home to a serial murdered. Through the paddock across the street the very man we were hoping for came running to see who was snooping around his lot, Mr Mckean as it turned out (our roads namesake) a hardworking man feeding his cattle for the night suggested we head to Sissys in the morning to speak with Tracey the owner and track down her husband Kevin, who had a loader that Hue thought may help. Are you with me still? Well after 11 pm Hue came to assess the mess himself in the pitch dark, certain his D4 would be just to small for the job, we had to settle in for the night and bunker down with our distraught driver. Before the sun came up the driver was pacing and I headed with him down to Sissy’s in search of Kevin, who just so happened be there. He listened to my distress call, and phoned Ryan who lived a few minutes from us and also owned some heavy excavating 4×4 equipment. Ryan immediately swung by the site to assess the situation and headed over to meet us and advised Kevin that the job was too big for him alone and that Kevin likely needed his huge loader, in addition to some excavating which would need to be done.

No more than an hour later our driveway was home to some of the largest tonka trucks I had ever seen work, and the lot looked like a sandbox and these amazing neighboors, dug and scrapped and hitched and lifted pushed and pulled and in not to very long our bin was precisely were I had hoped it would rest, the driver tail between his legs was back on the road with a mindset to sell his truck, and find a new profession. Our driveway was wider and flatter and we had a huge pile of sand and gravel (to use on the next project). All this before 11 am and when it was all done I couldn’t help but feel the whole mishap was fated as we managed to meet some truly outstanding folks (who won’t soon forget us). We paid them in a truck load of beer, and a promise to return with some premium baked goods. All that aside we still had a Whack of hard work to do!

Dylan and Dave scrapped the entire trailer roof and lap sealed the works (hopefully we won’t have any new leaks, just gross old ones to take care of now) I got to work on sheet multching a swath of garden (more on that in detail later), we hung some deer fencing, emptied the entire storage shed, created 2 huge dump piles, pruned the apple tree, and replanted a little tree that tangoed with the truck bumper, and got 2 rows of potato’s in the ground. We enjoyed a world beat show at Sissy’s and some amazing food, met another handful of good folks and new neighbors, bought a lot of poo found 2 laying hens, and bought a peach tree and a nectarine tree to plant in May. We measured up the kitchen and bathroom for reno plans, and are dreaming of Dylans workshop design. All this in just a few days, if only we could keep that pace all the time, however I already feel the slow down effect of the valley taking hold, with so much wilderness to explore and paddle, we will have to be diligent to make some improvements before the winter and still explore our new playground!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Big move soon, It’s the final count down!

2 thoughts on “A little drama, a whole lot of hard work, good neighbors and horsepower. A stampede of horsepower in fact!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s