A little bit about us and life at The Red Snowshoe
We (Renata + Dino) moved from Vancouver to the beautiful Slocan Valley 4 years ago and although the learning curve was rather steep at first it is now at a much gentler slope!
We have a unique Bed n Breakfast www.theredsnowshoe.com in Slocan Park – I invite you to check out our website and blog to get a picture of whom we are, where we live and what we do.
We are interested in hosting ‘woofers’ this year. If you would like to get some hands-on experience and aren’t afraid of hard work then you might be the right fit for us! We expect 5 hours of work per day – 5 days per week. We provide lunch and dinner and ingredients for breakfast so you can fix something yourselves in the morning. The vast majority of our food is organic and/or locally grown. All meat in the house is ethically raised and vegetarians can easily be accommodated. We follow permaculture principles (the ones we know of so far – remember we’re still learning too!) and grow our food organically.
We have the ‘White Tail’ tent available when not booked (doesn’t get busy until June). When it’s not available we have a comfortable guest room in the house.
Some projects planned for 2013:
- adding more raised beds to the vegetable garden
- soil building
- gardening, gardening, gardening (did I mention gardening)
- building a new deck
- starting beekeeping
- building (finishing barn extension exterior)
Other ongoing things to learn and do:
- learn about dairy goats – we have Nubian goats and will be having more kids this spring
- cheese making
- learn about the chickens (layers) their housing requirements etc.
- other things of a rural nature that we had no idea about until we moved here!!!
- we’re a half hour from Nelson and 15 minutes from Winlaw
- 4.5 km to the Rail Trail for walks/bike rides
- 5 minute walk to a swimming hole
- Renata does fiber arts so if you want to have a go at spinning, felting etc while you’re here you are welcome to!
~PLEASE REPLY TO US BELOW AT TRICYCLE ACRES OR EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS FARM OPPORTUNITY~